I’m back one last time, blogging
for my MPA 605 class. Today, I will be
reviewing a book of my choice. The
requirement for the class is that the book can be fiction or novel, non-fiction
or academic but related to information technology. The book I chose is The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook: A Tale of Sex,
Money, Genius and Betrayal. The book
is by Ben Mezrich. The publisher is
DoubleDay and the ISBN is 978-0-385-52937-2.
For those of you who don’t know, this is the book that inspired the
movie “The Social Network”, which was a movie about the creator and creation of
Facebook.
The reason why Ben Mezrich wrote
this book is unclear. I researched the
book and the author on the Internet, but could not find much information about
this. However, if I had to guess, I
would say the reason is because the story about the founders of Facebook is
really very interesting. It’s filled
with friendship, lawsuits and betrayal.
Seems like a best seller to me.
The bottom line is Facebook has taken over the world, in a matter of
years. I am not sure about everyone
else, but I know one of the first things I do in the morning (and all day long
actually) is check my Facebook account.
It happens all day, every day.
And I am sure that I am not the only one. With the invention of smart phones, we all
have access to Facebook without having to turn on our computers. It is a fascinating obsession that we all have. So I’m sure this is why Ben Mezrich decided
to write a book about it.
As I’ve explained earlier, this
book is about the founding (and founders) of Facebook. So there’s not a thesis per say, throughout
the book. The book tells a story, a
narrative one at that, about the founding of Facebook. The main source that Ben Mezrich spoke to was
the co-founder of Facebook, Edwardo Saverin.
The CEO and founder of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg refused to speak with
the author when he was investigating the story of the founding of Facebook. The main source for the book was Edwardo, who
in the end was betrayed by his friend, the founder of Facebook. I am not sure if Edwardo was trying to get
back at Mark Zuckerberg for the betrayal he endured. But he was there during most of the conversations
surrounding the founding of Facebook, so he has an accurate account of what
happened.
The story mainly involves 2 men,
Mark Zuckerberg and Edwardo Saverin. These
two men are known as the founders of Facebook.
They met in college (Harvard), when they were both in an underground
Jewish Fraternity. They were both aware
that their social status was not the best.
Neither of them were Harvard legacies or athletes. So they both sought out to try and get social
acceptance. Edwardo tried to change his
social status by joining a Final Club at Harvard. This was a lot like a fraternity. However, Mark had different interests than
Edwardo. I do not think that Mark had
any desire in being friends with his fellow Harvard elite. I believe Mark wanted more than that. I believe he wanted recognition, from everyone. Mark was great with computers and code. While he was in high school, he created a
program that learned the user’s listening habits. Supposedly Microsoft offered him 1 million
dollars for the rights to this program, but he turned them down. One night in his dorm room in late 2003, Mark
created a website that took the pictures of all the Harvard female students and
compared them to each other. He got the
pictures of the female students by hacking into the Harvard servers and
computers and downloading them all. The
object of the website it to have users vote on which girl they thought was more
attractive. From this idea, Facebook was
born. At the time, there were not a lot
of social networks on the Internet. Mark
created The Facebook, a social network that had everything that the other
websites were missing. Mark and Edwardo
decided on the business agreement for The Facebook. Edwardo invested his own money into the
company, to fund servers and equipment.
Because of this, Edwardo would become the CFO and was in charge of the
business side of the company. Mark
became the CEO and was in charge of the programming side of the company. They also had help from 3 other Harvard
students to help with programming and graphics.
The Facebook started off being available to only Harvard students. However, once it took over the Harvard
campus, the company decided to offer The Facebook up to other Ivy League
schools. By 2004, The Facebook was
available to anyone who had a valid college email address. In mid 2004, Sean Parker, the creator of
Napster, became an unofficial advisor to
Mark. However, with his involvement,
came a lot of trouble, mainly for Edwardo.
During their summer break, he moved to New York city for an internship
and to try and obtain companies that would advertise on Facebook This way Facebook could start making
money. However, Mark moved to Silicon
Valley California, with Facebook interns to write code and try to expand the
business. This is where Mark ran into
Sean. Sean wanted to be involved in all
aspects of Facebook, because he knew it was it going to be a big thing. With Sean’s help, Mark restructured the
company and forced Edwardo to sign away the rights he had to the company. In the end, I believe it was Mark’s business
card that explained his point of view and reasons for doing everything he did
and does for the company. His business
card read “I’m CEO-Bitch.” In other
words, he was the boss. And his main
focus has been and will always be Facebook. If anyone threatens to ruin that focus,
he will get rid of them.
While this book did talk about
creating computer programs and websites like Facebook, it did not go into too
much information technology language. It
spoke more about the business side of The Facebook during it’s start up
phase. It did talk about how simple it
is to start a website if you have the right tools and knowledge. I found it very interesting how something
that has become such a huge part of everyone’s daily routine, was created in a
college dorm room by one person using a computer and his knowledge of computer and
website code. The story itself I
thought was very interesting. It left me
wanting to know more about not just the characters in the true story, but also
about how Facebook has changed since it became live in 2003. I thought this book was an easy read and I
thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend it to
anyone who is as obsessed about pop culture as I am. Since reading the book, I have caught myself
thinking about Mark Zuckerberg and Edward Saverin, about their idea and vision
for Facebook. I wonder if they ever
thought it would get this big. This all
started with them wanting to change their social status on campus. It’s amazing how much you can get
accomplished when you have a vision for something, even if that vision is to
meet girls.

No comments:
Post a Comment